Together, we can make a more unified and healthy community, and one that is ready to get the work done for a strong Athens. Athens has great opportunities in the years ahead. Our local government can be a catalyst for building partnerships with individuals, our neighborhoods, our schools and businesses, and our community organizations to help make the most of these opportunities for everyone. As your District 10 commissioner, I work every day to make sure our community is always improving and is always ATHENS STRONG. Together, let's ensure Athens advances as:
A Skilled community
Building a strong economy that works for everyone by...
- encouraging social enterprises that provide job seekers with career-track opportunities.
- building upon workforce development initiatives like Quick Start.
- partnering with local businesses to offer youth apprenticeship opportunities.
- developing incentives for new and existing small businesses to hire locally, and to offer second chance opportunities.
- dedicating itself to ending poverty and helping those in need with a pathway to prosperity.
- cultivating our future as a place where the arts and creative culture of Athens thrives.
- recognizing the arts as a career and structure some economic development incentives towards recruitment and retention of artisans.
- making available grants for the creation of public art.
- developing a creative incubator for Athens to nurture the arts as an economic opportunity.
- providing assistance and incentives to local businesses who are exploring ways to increase their product reach beyond the borders of Athens.
- exploring public-private partnerships for the economic development of ACC owned land or repurposed buildings.
- utilizing Tax Allocation Districts for businesses and housing incentives to improve corridors.
- examine redevelopment opportunities and incentives for older multifamily complexes and struggling retail centers.
a LIVABLE COMMUNITY
Advocating for the strong health of our residents, neighborhoods, and environment by...
- exploring ways such as property tax rate rollback, or additional homestead exemptions, to provide relief for housing costs.
- utilizing Prosperity Package Navigators for outreach to determine needs of those lacking physical and mental healthcare needs and to find assistance in addressing those needs.
- continuing to advocate for the statewide expansion of Medicaid.
- supporting and creating an infrastructure for county wide wellness initiative to help address health disparities in Athens.
- creating transportation alternatives that are safe and accessible, such as expanding our bus routes, and pedestrian and bike infrastructure.
- explore options for providing bus service with the goal of eliminating ridership fees for all.
- fully funding a sidewalk network for Timothy/Mitchell Bridge Road connection that would not only create a connected pedestrian loop but would unify the county with sidewalk infrastructure.
- completing Greenway and Firefly efforts that offer alternatives to getting around Athens.
- supporting inclusionary zoning efforts to help with affordable housing options.
- expanding Youth Build Program to assist low income homeowners.
- support property tax freezes in low income areas to keep housing affordable and to prevent gentrification of neighborhoods.
- continuing to improve the appearance of entry points into Athens, our community gathering places, and our streets.
- stronger enforcement of our littering laws.
- supporting ongoing efforts to eliminate plastic bag usage.
- conserving our natural resources, protecting our green space, and guarding our water quality sources.
- supporting and encouraging renewable energy efforts by Athens-Clarke County and businesses.
- being proactive in engaging citizens and providing them with help on issues affecting them or their neighborhood.
- engaging residents on rezoning requests that would impact their neighborhood.
- ensuring the maintenance of infrastructure for neighborhoods.
- seeking local control of speed limit changes.
- supporting initiatives that would allow for placing utility lines underground along corridors in Athens.
A Fair Community
Ensuring strong equity and justice for all in our community by...
- adopting strong local anti-discrimination ordinances.
- supporting and expanding the role of the ACC Inclusion Office, specifically to examine and make recommendations to increase minority participation in ACC bidding processes.
- creating strong efforts to increase minority participation on boards and authorities and employment opportunities at all levels within ACC government.
- investing in both built and human infrastructure needs across all areas of our community.
- creating a Small Minority Business Development Center to assist with existing and start-up minority owned businesses.
- recognizing that our growth and investments must result in an Athens which provides equal opportunity for all.
- continuing to support innovative ways to improve our criminal justice such as diversion programs, re-entry support, and alternatives to incarceration.
- supporting efforts to provide additional training for police officers in identifying and dealing with mental health related calls.
An Engaged Community
Building strong relationships between residents, neighborhoods, and government by...
- increasing investment in neighborhood parks and gathering spots.
- continue to advocate for the SPLOST identified west side park to be located in the Timothy/Epps Bridge Road area.
- increasing usage of existing Neighborhood Notification Initiative to communicate with residents on health and safety issues impacting their neighborhood.
- encouraging and providing for more opportunities for events that so that community members able to interact and get to know one another.
- developing a system to make it easier to call for questions and assistance from ACC, such as having a staffed call center with one ACC telephone number who can then direct to the appropriate department.
- assisting with the development of Neighborhood Planning Units to review development and rezone requests, and other neighborhood issues.
- making sure reliable internet is available to all areas of Athens so that everyone has equal access to information.